A few large companies, notably GE and Westinghouse, are behind the push to reduce energy efficiency in the United States because these businesses still make profits selling outdated technology. They have successfully tricked Trump into believing that their ability to produce old technology bulbs is better for the country than stable power grids, cost savings for individuals, and reductions in global warming.
How did they convince Trump to do this? It is easy, like so many people that are anti-liberal, they believe that any government regulations must be bad. They have been preached to by Fox News and Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck for decades that all regulation is evil, and they now accept that as truth.
The results of the rollback of regulations about efficient light bulbs means the following:
- A few large businesses will make a little more profit. These are billion dollar businesses that often pay no taxes due to tax loopholes.
- Individuals can save some money at the store by buying cheaper light bulbs.
- But those same individuals will pay more money in electricity bills because incandescent bulbs require much more electricity.
- Our power grids are more likely to experience black outs due to increased energy demands.
- Our country must expend more resources, dollars and energy, to produce the increased electricity required to power the inefficient bulbs.
- Global warming will increase more because of the increase in energy consumption.
It is so sad to see the resources of the world squandered so that a few individuals may make a short term profit.